Sunday, October 26, 2008

Demonstration on PCH

On Saturday my roommate Kim & I drove down PCH from Laguna Beach to Dana Point & were heartend to see so many people standing for what they believe in.

I chose to put my video to this song because it reminds me of simpler times and of the beauty and hope in traditional marriage, the Divine institution given to us by God.

Please rate & comment, I welcome all opinions about this polarizing subject. I don't believe in censorship, but if your comment is disrespectful to either side I will delete it.

Special thanks to my friends Callie, Grant, Katie, Aubrey & Allie for the photos!

~Heather


Please go to the video, rate & comment! Thanks!

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful song choice!


"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do
We could be married
And then we'd be happy"


I bet gay people all over are singing it.

emily said...

this is an awesome video! i'm posting it on my blog. i wish i could have been there! holding up my sign! go marriage!

Callie and Grant Lippard said...

Very cool!! Thanks for including us!! This feels like a war doesn't it? Man, it's getting crazy out there!!

Hizzeather said...

Michelle, I knew that some people would try to make that point. I just want to say that I do wish that gay people would get married and be happy...but to do that they need to follow the guidelines that God has set up for us. There is so much happiness when we live our lives within the boundaries that the Lord has set for us.

I truly wish that all people could be happy. If gay marriage led to happiness, I would be first in line to be an advocate for it. But it doesn't, and therefore I will never assist Satan into deceiving people that they will be happy choosing to succumb to same-sex attraction.

Michelle said...

Ahh...
Religion.
Let's skip that topic since we're talking about the government, and not everyone is Christian.

;)

Hizzeather said...

Unfortunately there is no way for me to skip the topic, as it is the reason we are all even on this Earth and therefore applies to anything and everything. Other people can deny it, but I never will.

Tara and Bob said...

Freakin awesome video Heather!!!

Bobby and I were in Laguna Beach supporting the cause and waving our yes on 8 signs!!

emily said...

have you guys seen this?
http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/relationships/35584res20080609.html

Christa Jeanne said...

Wow, Emily - thanks for the ACLU link. Scary, yet not surprising, considering that's how the ACLU rolls.

Katelynn said...

Really? The reason we are all on this earth is because of God???? I'm sorry, but for the non-christians living in this country, we need our voices heard, too.

Just because YOUR religion believes a certain way does not mean I have to, too.

(You asked for open dialog, so there it is...)

Hizzeather said...

Katelynn, she asked me to leave religion out of it, and I simply won't. I won't deny my faith or sweep it aside to make people feel more comfortable.

I believe in the voice of the people. If prop 8 does not pass, I will obey the law of the land and recognize gay marriage. But just as you have every right to voice your opinion, I have every right to voice mine.

I believe in a loving God who loves ALL of his children, which means every human being. I believe that He has had many prophets and even a Prophet on the Earth today. When we listen to their words, which are the words of God, then we will be happier. He wants us to be happy.

I also believe in Satan, and that there are opposites in all things. Satan's ONLY goal in life is to make people miserable like unto himself. He is an expert at making things that will lead to misery seem like they will make you happy. Anything that is selfish comes from Satan.

I understand that there are people who aren't Christian out there. I respect your freedom to choose whatever you'd like to believe in. But I'll be damned if I'm not going to keep testifying what I know to be true in the hopes that it will pierce your soul, bring to mind a tiny recognition and a twinge in your heart in the hopes that you will realize that it IS the truth.

Katelynn said...

You are absolutely right... you have every right to practice your religion and voice your opinion. Within the confines of your own religion, of course.

If you chose to follow a religion that does not want to consider that people ARE gay, and they would like the right to marry, too, that's A-OK by me. Believe that. Live that. Practice that.

But if I don't belong to your church, why should I be subject to your beliefs?

I've heard it several times, but it's true... the courts exist to protect the minorities. What if 51% of the state votes yes on 8? What about the other 49%? Do they deserve to be discriminated against because the other 51% think that it's okay?

Religion and government DON'T mix. Please keep YOUR religion out of OUR government.

Hizzeather said...

I'm not sure if you understand what's on the ballot, but Proposition 8 simply defines marriage as between a man and a woman (which, in my opinion, is how most people in the world view marriage...it's just not written in the constitution and people are exploiting that). Proposistion 8 will not force people to become Mormon or believe in our views. You will not be sublect to my beliefs if Proposition 8 passes. We simply want the will of the people to be heard. My religion is nowhwere in your government.

I would also like to clarify that Mormon's do recognize that some people are born with the temptation of same-sex attraction (you label that as gay). We hope that these people will be able to overcome that struggle, but if they choose to act on their temptations, we do not judge them or try to otherwise hinder them from leading an enjoyable life. We recognize that they seek domestic partnerships and have not doen anything to prevent that. But now a line has been crossed, and I, like many church members of ALL faiths, feel the need to take a stand.

May I correct you on another point. I have absolutely every right to practice my own religion and voice my opinion everywhere in America, especially here on my own blog. There are no confines.

I believe that the minority you speak of has an agenda to validate their lifestyle using the government, exactly what you accuse me of doing. Well, who is right? Let the people of California decide how we want marriage to be defined. I am voting YES on Proposition 8 because I believe marriage is between one man and one woman.

Christa Jeanne said...

Katelynn, we're voting with what we believe. There is NOTHING wrong with that! Thank goodness that EVERYONE can voice their beliefs in the public forum.

We're not trying to make people un-gay, nor are we trying to force them to change their lifestyles. We simply oppose changing the definition of marriage from its foundation as a union between one man and one woman.

There's nothing wrong with voting with your beliefs, whether they come from religion, philosophy or pure secularism. Taking the issue to the polls by the vox populi is the American way.

It isn't as if Mormons are the only ones supporting Prop. 8. There are plenty of cultures where their norms disapprove of same-sex marriage. 61 percent of California voters approved Prop. 22 in 2000 - I'm pretty sure that included more than just Latter-day Saints.

There are plenty of sociological reasons to back up Prop. 8 as well.